Saturday, January 19, 2013

Steak Night: Mexican style

Do you ever feel like trading the night out for a night in? Tonight was one of those nights for us.
We were too lazy to call in for reservations and drive out to a restaurant, but still wanted yummy food.
Tim, as usual, had steak on his mind. If ya know what I mean. 
I, on the other hand, wanted a special, fancy, loaded baked potato.
So, we decided we'd have good ol fashioned meat and potatoes!
Tim, being the grill master that he is, got to be head chef tonight.
Here's how it went down:
Because I'm such a masculine man, the steak I chose for myself was the biggest T-bone I could find.
So Bronwyn could keep up her wonderful figure, I gave her a smaller Delmonico.
I decided for tonight's menu, that we would prepare Mexican style steak, and baked potatoes loaded with grilled peppers and onions.
For the steaks, I used my Mexican steak rub (found on my BBQ King Page). I marinated them in a combo of butter, Worcestershire sauce, and lime juice. Oh yeahhh buddy! 
I let the steaks sit and marinate for about an hour, before putting them on the grill.
The most important thing when grilling steaks is to get your fire as hot as possible, so that they are properly seared and the juices are locked in. Doesn't Tim sound so professional? He has tips for days.
I have a medium size pit and it takes me about eight pounds of coals to reach the optimum temperature.
At the guesstimated temperature of 400 degrees, it should take 4 minutes on each side to reach medium to medium rare(depending on the thickness of your steak, of course). You should never eat meat straight off the grill. Let it sit for 10-15 minutes to ensure that it's at its juiciest, and best flavor.
Now for my FAVORITE part of tonight!! 
For the grilled onions and peppers, you will need a pot or skillet that is safe to go on the grill.  
The best way to find out, is to do what we did; just put it on the grill. If it melts, it isn't safe....
Once you figured out which pot to use, slice one onion and one bell pepper, or a hotter pepper if you like spicy food, and throw them into the pot. Add 2 tbs. butter, 1 tbs. Worcestershire sauce, 1 tsp. soy sauce, about a tsp. chili powder, 1/2 tsp. cumin, 1 tsp. garlic powder, half a lime, and one slice of raw, thick cut bacon. Combine all ingredients in the pot, place on grill with the lid on for 10 minutes. After the 10 minutes are up, remove the lid to allow the smoke flavor to get all up in the vegetables, and cook for another 5 minutes, or until bacon is cooked through. Remove the lime before serving.
For the potatoes, if I need to explain that to you, GET OUT OF THE KITCHEN.
Gosh Tim, that's the only thing I did tonight! Let me explain! (and don't feel bad if you're still reading this.)
I washed 4 large russet potatoes, stabbed them a few (hundred) times with a fork, placed them on a cookie sheet, and baked them on 400 degrees for a little over an hour. The end.
When everything was done, we loaded our plates with Mexican style steaks, and complicatedly made potatoes, which were topped with the onion bell pepper mix. 
  
Enjoy the delicious night in!! 

You must eat this with a fork, dork!

 ~Tim & Bron 
 
  
 

No comments:

Post a Comment